What is Naturopathic Medicine ??
- The practice of Naturopathic Medicine today is science and evidence based and highly professional in its delivery. The true strength of Naturopathy lies in its underlying philosophy, which sees the patient as a complete being and the body as a complete system. Naturopathic Medicine sets out to restore health & wellbeing by addressing the underlying causes of ill health.
The science of Naturopathy has for centuries been dedicated to the establishment and maintenance of human health, using naturally occurring supplements ‘Nutraceuticals’ , diet, tactile therapies and lifestyle, to co operate with the body’s natural processes. Naturopathic Medicine regards the individual as a complete being and therefore integrates both emotional and physical indicators to assess and address health issues. The main principles of Naturopathic Medicine are:
- Firstly Do no harm. (Primum Non Nocere)
- Identify and treat the cause and not the symptoms.
- Teach, the word Doctor comes from the latin word Docere which means teacher.
- Naturopathic physicians combine the wisdom of nature with the rigours of modern science.
- Naturopathic physicians help facilitate the body’s inherent ability to restore and maintain optimal health.
- “All disease begin in the gut” – Hippocrates. ‘the father of medicine, who incidentally studied in Egypt’
- Among the most common ailments Naturopaths treat are, allergies, chronic pain, digestive issues, hormonal imbalances, obesity, respiratory conditions, heart disease, fertility problems, menopause, adrenal fatigue, fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome.
- Symptom are viewed as your body’s way of trying to cure itself, like diarrhoea.
- Everyone is an individual so the cause can be different from one person to another.
- In the UK where I studied, we are not allowed to diagnose.
- Along with the right Nutritional plan, we advocate things like exercise, massages, saunas, hydrotherapy, sun exposure, yoga etc…
- Medicine is definitely an Art, its a science but its also an Art that comes with experience.
- A good Naturopath will specialise, same as a MD.
- We use supplements, dietary changes, clinical nutrition, because what we learn is what nutrient is what part of a pathway, and so we can tell for example, you’re low in Magnesium, Zinc & B6 which are part of serotonin production.
- We use Medicinal Herbs as part of medicine.
- Immune system efficiency is the primary goal of Nutritional therapy, specifically when it comes to infectious disease.
Leave a Reply